- About us
- VIP Plans
- Join Us
This week, some lovely visitors came to our surgeries. Unfortunately, these gorgeous canines were feeling poorly after eating some strange things that they shouldn’t have! 😮 🚫
It’s really important to keep a close eye on your pets and to contact us if you suspect that they have eaten or swallowed any toxic foods or foreign objects.
Thankfully, our experienced Vets were able to investigate and help these four-legged friends get back to their playful selves! 💚
Read on to find out more about this week’s fascinating cases…
💚 This cheeky chap is Bruno. 🐶
Bruno decided to eat a tea bag! However no one told him that whilst tea may be lovely for us humans, the caffeine is toxic to dogs! ☕️ 😱
Caffeine toxicity can effect the major organs such as the heart, liver and kidneys. 😢
Bruno’s responsible owners brought him to see the team at Streatham Hill Vets to get him checked over. Unfortunately, his morning didn’t go as planned as we had to give him an injection to make him vomit safely to remove the teabag.
Thankfully his owner acted quickly so he was able to go home after the teabag was retrieved. ✨
We gave him lots of cuddles before he left for being such a brave boy. 💚 💚 💚
How sweet is Scout? 🐶
Scout was brought in to see our amazing Vet Harriett at Wimbledon Vets after she had been battling with diarrhoea.
On close examination it was found that little Scout had a hard mass in her small intestines from something she may have eaten that she was not supposed to. 😱
We decided to take Scout into surgery to have the item removed. Harriett carefully removed a mass that consisted of hard sticks, hair and twine that had all compacted together and caused the blockage! 😮
Scout was a superstar patient and received tons of cuddles and TLC before she went home to recover. 🌟
This 14 week old cutie is Vinny. 😍
Doesn’t he look similar to the gorgeous Scout above?
He was brought in to Lakeview Vets by his worried family because he had swallowed a 5 pence piece!! 💰
Obstructions in the gastrointestinal tract (mouth, oesophagus, stomach and intestines!!!) are serious, painful, possible life threatening conditions especially if left untreated. 😢
The position of the 5 pence was confirmed by radiograph which you can see, showing bright white in the photo, placed firmly in the stomach.
Our amazing, skilled Veterinary Surgeon Clemence then removed the obstruction during an exploratory laparotomy, commonly known as an Ex-lap.
This procedure also allowed lovely Clemence to examine all of Vinny’s abdominal contents and gastrointestinal tract for any damage or possible disease.
During Vinny’s time with us he was given intravenous fluids, antibiotics, medication, pain relief and lots of love and cuddles, he was just adorable. 💊 💙
Vinny was lucky that his family were keeping a close eye and saw him eat the 5 pence, but this sadly is not always the case.
Keeping close attention while your pets are playing with toys or are out and about can help avoid problems with ingestion of foreign objects or dangerous products.🍇 🌽 🍖
If you suspect that your pet has eaten something don’t hesitate to call or bring them in to see us, as your pet could potentially become quite ill.
Symptoms of an obstruction or ingestion of other items include:
🔹 Loss of or reduced appetite
🔹 Lip smacking or drooling
🔹 Absence of faeces or diarrhoea
🔹 Lethargic, not being themselves
🔹 Signs of abdominal discomfort such as reluctance to move and crying out
🔹 Swollen abdomen
Gorgeous Vinny is now home with his family recuperating but we will keep a close eye on him to ensure his continued recovery. 💚
He certainly made all our hearts melt and we wish him well. 😍 No more eating unusual things though Vinny!
The Lakeview Vets team had another visitor this week with a similar problem.
Meet the adorable Teddy. 😍 🐶
While Teddy didn’t actually eat anything unusual, he sadly got a strange item stuck to his upper lip.
Poor Teddy had been on a lovely walk on the beach but unfortunately picked up a very unwanted present from a careless fisherman!! 🎣 🎣
A nasty fish hook was embedded in his upper lip. 😩 😢
Teddy had to be anaesthetised to ensure that the fish hook could be removed safely and without causing more damage.
We would advise if your four-legged friend is found in a similar situation do not remove it by yourself! 🚫 Please bring them for a visit to see our lovely experienced Veterinary Surgeons instead.
Teddy was such a star 🌟🌟 and never stopped wagging his tail. The team fell in love with this cutie and gave him lots of cuddles before he went back home. 💚
Our experienced Vets are always here for you. If you are worried about your precious pet, or suspect they may have eaten something they shouldn’t have, please contact us immediately- 0208 674 3525. ☎️
We hope you and your pets stay safe, healthy and happy! ✨